Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 00:16 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2008-06-11 14:07:14, schrieb Paul Johnson:
> > What modem?  "Winmodems" aren't modems, they're sound boards with the
> > wrong audio connector.
>
> This is definitivly wrong.  A WinModem is a DA/AD-Converter  with  phone
> stuff attached.

A WinModem isn't a modem, though:  All the modulating and demodulating
is done in software on the CPU, not in hardware like a real modem.  It's
just a DA/AD converter wrapped around a hookswitch and an RJ11.  A sound
card is the same thing without the hookswitch and some proper audio
connections.

So yes, a WinModem /is/, by definition, either a useless sound card or a
defective-by-design modem.  I tend to go with the former since it
doesn't present a paradox.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca