Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:47 -0500, p.daniels wrote:
> Wow, that's an awful lot of money. Do some shopping on newegg.com, I
> got my Lenovo Y510 for under $700. 2 Gb RAM, dual core Intel, card
> reader, great wireless, webcam, the whole nine yards, and may I add it
> works great with Debian. I've only had it for a few months, but I am
> unabashedly thrilled with my purchase, especially at the price (I think it
> was a sale, but it was only $100 off or so, that's still well under a
> thousand).

What I have to wonder is if you still had to pay the Microsoft tax on
that, or if you were able to get your paws on a ThinkPad via NewEgg with
no OS or Debian preinstalled.

> As another poster asked, is Windows a _requirement_? With some
> schools it is.

Heh, I'd rather fight for a tuition refund than pay for non-free
software to attend a class I'm already paying for.  Fuck that.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca