Re: Any isencrypted function available?

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:11:56PM -0400, Hal Vaughan
wrote:
> [...]
Debian

> > Considering one byte looks just as much like any other
(with only 256
> > variations), how would anything in an OS or language
know something is
> > encrypted?
> >
> > Maybe if the encrypted bit is set in a packet in a
data stream, it might
> > be possible to tell.  Isn't the encrypted bit the one
right after the
> > evil bit?

Perhaps it can do a statistical analysis of the
datastream.  If its
random, then its either compressed or encrypted (or both).
 Since file
can identify compressed data (by the header?) perhaps this
would work.

You could strongly suspect that something is encrypted if
it isn't
compressed yet it is incompressable.

 I saw a webpage of Solaris's 'isencrypted' function which
inspects some data in a buffer is encrypted or not using
some algorithm including statistical analysis. But now I
cannot find that page on the Internet...
 Thanks.

GANBARE! NIPPON! Chance to win 50,000 Yahoo! Points!
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/ganbare-nippon/