Re: updater wants to update to the current kernel version

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:24:33PM +1000, Andrew Storm wrote:
> Hi whoever is out there.
>
> I recently installed debian etch in a virtual box vm. Several times
> since then the updater has wanted to update the kernel image to the same
> version as the current kernel, which is 2.6.18-6-k7. I let it do it the
> first couple of times since i was new to debian, but it has become an
> irritation. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it a bug in the
> updater? Can anyone tell me how to stop this behaviour?

Hello Andrw,

I sent this to both you and the list given your "whoever is out there".

There have been repeated bugs found in the kernel that have been patched
without changing the kernel version.  So yes, you should continue to
keep your system up-to-date even if the kernel version stays the same.

I don't know what "updater" is, since the default package manager on
Etch is aptitude on which you then run "update" to see what's new.

I hope this answers your question.

Doug.