Re: Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On 15 Jun 2008, Lee Glidewell wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2008 01:27:14 am Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > <snip>
> > Wireless works with th old ipw3945 stuff but I have never managed to get
> > iwlwifi to do anything, so I can't use a later kernel than 2.6.23,
>
> Well, it Works For Me(tm). The procedure for getting iwlwifi up and running is
> slightly different from the older driver, but it definitely works (with a few
> known bugs, admittedly, such as poor LED indicator support).
>
> I would never choose a wifi chip other than Intel, so I want to say both 1) it
> shouldn't present compatibility problems, and 2) encourage anyone who's had
> such problems to post them here, along with what they've done, so that if
> these *are* serious problems, I can stop suggesting Intel wifi. Because
> otherwise, I plan to suggest that.

Yes, I know others have found it worked, and probably I have been doing
something very silly. But I've followed all the docs as conscientiously
as I can, without success. The Intellinux wireless org site says, in
bold letters:

NOTE: The iwlwifi driver is experimental and may not work for you. YMMV.

I'll probably try again at some stage.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk