Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

Thanks for the continuing replies and suggestions.

Again I will put replies in one mail, since noone has given me a good
reason not to, yet. Please comment on this if it is a problem.

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 01:38:19PM +0200, David wrote:
>
>> This isn't a solution for me. I want fsck to run regularly,
>
> Why?

Rephrased: I want fsck to run as often as the system wants to. I
assume it has good reasons to be scheduled as often as it is by
default. Exception: When I don't have time to wait for it.

=====

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:
> I don't know if that is the full extent of your computer usage (i.e.,
> getting on the internet to check mail quickly) when being interrupted by
> fsck. If that is all you need, and if you might be in the market for a new
> mother board in the near future,  then you might want to consider getting
> one of the new ASUS boards with a Splashtop BIOS. There's more info on the
> company's website: http://www.splashtop.com/

Mostly web browsing, but I do sometimes ssh over to another box of
mine (router) to check it's download (over dialup) status. Also I like
to play some music from my harddrive through Audacious while getting
ready for work.

I doubt that the trimmed-down Firefox has all the add-ins I like to
use. But it's something worth looking into. Thanks for the suggestion.

=====

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> Why not just run fsck manually (i.e. shutdown -RF now) whenever you
> want.  If you do it frequently enough, you'll never hit the automatic
> checking counter: you'll only get caught if you forget.  Set up cron to
> send you an email reminder every week or something.

This is a decent work-around. However, ideally I should be able to
configure the scheduled fscks to run at a more conveniant time, and
automatically, rather than having to work my own schedule around the
needs of the PC.

Another problem is that I don't know how to setup mail relaying on my
workstation (so that mail from local accounts get queued, and then
forwarded to my gmail account when I dial up to the internet). I'm not
sure if it's worth the trouble to research and set that up :-)

Finally, Exim MTA was setup by default on my PC, but I disabled it's
init.d script. Reason: My PC is not connected to the internet a lot of
the time, so I get a "MTA starting..." message that stalls the startup
for a long time. I really hate long delays during startup :-) (see
also: Apple Talk service installed by default. wth?)

David.