Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

David wrote:

Here is a summary of my PC usage:

1) Turn on home PC briefly to check e-mail etc, before going to work,
then shut down.

2) Back from work, turn it on for the evening, and off again before
going to bed.

The PC is near my bed, I don't like to have the noisy fans etc going
while I'm trying to sleep :-) And I don't see the point of leaving it
on for 9+ hours while I'm not at home.

I don't know if that is the full extent of your computer usage (i.e., getting on the internet to check mail quickly) when being interrupted by fsck. If that is all you need, and if you might be in the market for a new mother board in the near future, then you might want to consider getting one of the new ASUS boards with a Splashtop BIOS. There's more info on the company's website: http://www.splashtop.com/

In a nut shell, you'll be able to boot into a Linux based BIOS with a slimmed down version of Firefox. Perfect for checking a quick email or other internet related info.

I'm currently looking at this board which is available now from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299