Re: Strange directory in home

On Sat June 14 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Can anyone explain this ?
>
> The name "file:" reminds me of how file managers sometimes refer to
> local files in their address/location bar. Some application might
> misunderstand expressions such as "file:///home/frank/Desktop" and
> therefore create spurious directories and files in your home directory.
>
> You could try to catch processes that access these directories/files
> with lsof or fuser, maybe in combination with inotify-wait (package
> inotify-tools).

and if there was nothing after the file, the filename might be hidden
characters or A SPACE.. you might try :
$ cd
$ls -la ?

like I did here. What I did was create a file called 1 . The wild card "?"
would find it,and  any filename that was 1 character, including a space

# ls -la ?
ls: cannot access ?: No such file or directory
paulandcilla:/etc/udev/rules.d# >1
paulandcilla:/etc/udev/rules.d# ls -la ?
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-06-14 15:56 1
paulandcilla:/etc/udev/rules.d#

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800