Re: Strange directory in home

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:48:59 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> Lately,I've been noticing a strange directory popping up in my home
> directory. It's called "file:" and has subdirectories  of home ,
> home/frank , and Desktop with Desktop empty.
> I have deleted it several times but it keeps re-appearing.
>
> Can anyone explain this ?

The name "file:" reminds me of how file managers sometimes refer to
local files in their address/location bar. Some application might
misunderstand expressions such as "file:///home/frank/Desktop" and
therefore create spurious directories and files in your home directory.

You could try to catch processes that access these directories/files
with lsof or fuser, maybe in combination with inotify-wait (package
inotify-tools).

          Florian   |