video playback and beamers (was: Debian on laptop)

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:27:19 +0200, Bernd Kloss wrote:

[...]

> I have Debian/Etch on a Dell Latitude D 520.
> No Problems.
> The only thing that is a bit tricky is getting a picture of a video on the
> Beamer (clone-mode). For instance *.flv: You get the full picture on the lfp
> and the program-frame of the player over beamer, but not the movie. This area
> stays black.
> Same with DVDs: Here you have to choose within Kaffeine/xine/video/xshm.
> Don't ask me why

AFAIK, the video overlay only works on either the LFP or the external
output with most graphic cards, but not on two displays at the same
time. I have often seen colleagues who use Windows run into the same
problem when they want to show videos in a beamer-based presentation, so
I suspect that this not a linux-specific issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_overlay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_video_extension

You can use use the xvattr tool (available from debian-multimedia) to
switch the video overlay to the external output. Also, switching off the
internal display could be enough to bring the video output to the
beamer; this may require a restart of X.

Configuring your media player to use X11-XImage/Shm will allow you to
see the video on both displays, but it comes at the price of higher CPU
load and possibly degraded video playback quality. If you really need to
have the video playing on both outputs then you can try if X11-OpenGL is
better in terms of CPU load.

          Florian   |