Re: Debian on laptop

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 05:54 -0700, alfa beta wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>

> After spending hours of reading about the Linux distributions and
> compatible hardware, I feel I get crazzy. I chose you because of your
> "Social Contract", though I'm not sure Debian is still updated,
> apologize, I couldn't find recent articles, I am a newbye.
>
> Question: Could you recommend me a laptop model, with all details,
> which works completely, or perfectly with Debian? Including
> audio-video hardware, and hardware for connection to Internet (I'm on
> cable modem, UPC is my provider).
>
> I don't need an expensive one. Perhaps an anti-glare, anti-reflex
> screen is needed because I'll have to read a lot.
>
> Thanks,
> E.S.

Well, again I will say that a Dell Vostro runs Debian well.  Don't know
about a webcam (some models come with one).  About the only issue is the
sound is not very loud in Linux (but it is in Windows) but it does work.
One can be had for about $500 USD up to $1800?.

Battery life on my Dell Vostro 1500 (9 cell) is from 5 to 7 hours.

As for your cable modem, ANY recognized ethernet card will work, your
cable modem does not care about the OS.  If the OS can work the ethernet
card, your cable modem will work.  I do not remember the last time I
found an ethernet card that did not work.  It has been years.  I suppose
you can still find one, but the odds are if you grab a box off the
shelve, install Linux on it, at least the ethernet will work.

HTH
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com