Re: OT: Winmodems are soundcards Was: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 05:30:02PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:45:50 -0500
> Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Hugo,
>
> > Brad Rogers wrote:
> > > Acoustic Couplers, they were called.  A real PITA to use, too;  One
> > > hard knock, and the line dropped, because the noise produced upset
> > But it worked. Connected from IBM Chicago to IBM Kingston in 1972
> > using TSO and an electric typewriter. It all took a while though.
>
> Slow doesn't even *begin* to cover it.   :-)

Wasn't vi written with a 300 baud connection in mind?  I seem to recall
that from an interview with the author.  My IT life started with 1200
baud.  Downloading OS/2 updates on that was slow, but hey I need to
sleep at night anyway.

Doug.