Re: OT: Winmodems are soundcards Was: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:57:58PM +0200, Misko wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:07:14PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > What modem?  "Winmodems" aren't modems, they're sound boards with the
> > wrong audio connector.
>
> I have read something like this many times. What am I interested in
> is if I can make my regular soundcard force to behave like modem?
> What I have in mind is to connect phone line instead of one of
> the speakers and use that to connect to ISP.

this is surely do-able. The very first modems were essentially a
speaker and a microphone that were connected to the telephone reciever
by a couple of rubber cup-like things.

> I was trying to find
> some info but failed (perhaps I was looking at wrong places).
> Is there a kernel module available that can turn soundcard into
> modem?

it wouldn't be a kernel module, but rather a simple program that would
generate the right sounds over the sound card. In fact, in my old c-64
days that was exactly how we generated touchtone dialing. You simply
instructed the sound system to generate the DTMF frequencies and they
were sent over the phone lines.

For use in a linux system, I would imagine your best bet is to have
the program create the device node like a real modem would, capture
the data from that and convert it to the appropriate sounds. You'd
also want to emulate the at codes as well.

It sounds a royal pain to me... better to just get a modem.