Re: OT: Winmodems are soundcards Was: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:57:58 +0200
Misko <asdrtg-mlist@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Hello Misko,

> is if I can make my regular soundcard force to behave like modem?

Possibly, but why would you want to?  When you're on-line using a
WinModem the CPU has to do all the work of (en|de)coding data that
would normally be done by the modem itself.  This slows the computer
down.  Maybe not much, but if you're doing something critical, time, and
timing, may be of the essence.

Using a proper modem is far and away the best approach.  They're hardly
expensive these days.  Not like when I started out;  A 300/300 &
1200/75 baud modem cost £125.  That was in the 1980s.

--
 Regards  _

You destroyed my confidence, you broke my nerve
Nervous Wreck - Radio Stars