Re: Help: Errors from aptitude install

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:33:01PM -0500, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> was heard to say:
> Specifically I am trying to install samba and its parts, samba-common
> samba smbclient smbfs, on Lenny and I keep getting errors like the
> following.
>
>     Setting up samba-common (2:3.0.30-2) ...
>     Error: unknown response from debconf:'keep_current'
>     dpkg: error processing samba-common (--configure):
>
> I have tried all of the options besides "keep_current" to no avail.
>
> Any ideas as to what the problem is or how to fix it?

  The only reference I can find to this is bug #443179 against ucf.  But
that was fixed ages ago, in 3.003.  I think that message is from ucf
line 956:

                        echo "Error: unknown response from debconf:'$RET'" >&2

  The only way that I can see of getting this from the code, though, is
after the non-debconf prompt for a merge.  You'd have to answer
something other than one of the known options (which makes the comment
about debconf a bug IMO).  That's not what's happening either, so I'm a
little puzzled.

  This is grasping at straws, but you *do* have ucf 3.007, or at least 3.006,
installed, right?

  Daniel