Re: Gnome desktop on fresh lenny install won't logout - how do I debug this?

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Gabriel Parrondo <g.parrondo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If, however, I run startx, wait a few seconds (without starting
>> anything else) and then try to logout by clicking on "System", then
>> "Log Out <username>", the system will hang about 50% of the time.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea how I can debug this to work out which
>> package I should report the bug against?
>>

> You should check the programs that are started on gnome startup. Pull
> all of them out and re-add them one by one.
> Most likely, one of them is keeping the init script from finishing and
> that's why you can't logout.
>
> Another way to go is to add a new user with a clean home and try with
> him.

OK, I've tried the 2nd thing 1st: I've created a new user using
"adduser testuser", and tried to recreate the problem by logging in as
testuser and then running startx. The problem is still there - i.e. it
happens with a completely fresh userid.

Just to recap: I'm running a completely fresh Lenny install, I don't
have gdm installed, I login at a virtual terminal using a new fresh
userid, run startx and WITHOUT running anything from the desktop, I
try to logout. Logout hangs.

I'm a little surprised that I'm the first to find this - I would have
thought that there would be lots of people running Lenny at the moment
(so there would also be at least a few running Lenny without gdm), but
that's a different matter!

With regards to "checking the programs that are started on Gnome
startup", the "Startup Programs" tab of Gnome's "Sessions Preferences"
app only shows 1 program: "Visual Assistance", and I've unchecked
(disabled) that but I still get the same problem. Is there any other
way to disable startup programs that I'm not aware of?

One other point of interest: If logout hangs, I can clear the hang by
running any program (either from Alt-F2, or by clicking on an icon on
one of the panels). As soon as I start any other app, the logout
continues normally and X then shuts down.

Should I just log this as a bug against gnome-session and see how it
goes from there? Again, thanks for any help,

Jaime