Gnome desktop on fresh lenny install won't logout - how do I debug this?

Hi all.

I've just installed a fresh Lenny on my Thinkpad T60. In addition to
the base install, I've installed the "xorg" package and the
"gnome-core" package, so I don't have gdm (I just login and run
"startx").

When I've finished using X, I logout by clicking on "System" (on the
Gnome Menu Bar) and then clicking on "Log Out <username>". But 50% of
the time, this does nothing (just as though I'd clicked on the
adjacent button, "Cancel", instead).

I've been playing around trying to work out where the problem is, and
I've found out that the problem only happens if I run startx and then
try to logout _without_ having started any other programs. If, for
example, I start just one "Gnome terminal" and then close the
terminal, the problem does NOT happen. (it's as though starting at
least 1 program clears something that stops the problem from
happening).

If, however, I run startx, wait a few seconds (without starting
anything else) and then try to logout by clicking on "System", then
"Log Out <username>", the system will hang about 50% of the time.

Does anyone have any idea how I can debug this to work out which
package I should report the bug against?

Thanks, J :-)