Re: How to make a link backup?

Am Mittwoch, 11. Juni 2008 schrieb Magicloud:
> Hello,
>
>          Assuming I have two WAN link, with two different routes and ips.
> And I have two nics in my box.
>
>          Usually, I only use one link, the primary link. But sometimes, the
> primary link is down, I need to switch to another link ASAP, and switch
> back when the broken link is OK again for a certain long time.
>
>          How to do this? I do not think bonding works here, right?
>

> Thanks.

I never gave it a try on linux (on winxp it seems to work): 'metric' is for
that purpose.
See 'route -n' and/or 'man route'.

The man page says:
       Metric The  'distance'  to  the target (usually counted in hops). It is
              not used by recent kernels, but may be needed  by  routing  dae-
              mons.

sorry, not a solutuion. more like a hint.

Mit freundlichem Gruß

     Tim Rühsen