Re: xpdf-utils vs. poppler-utils conflict prevents aptitude safe-upgrade

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:35:18PM -0500, Aaron Hall
> <ahall@vitaphone.net> was heard to say:
>
> > My sid box has cupsys and xpdf-utils installed (among a bunch of other
> > things). When I run "aptitude safe-upgrade", aptitude runs through its
> > normal prep, followed by many lines of "Resolving dependencies...",
> > followed by:
> >
> >   The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >     xpdf-utils: Conflicts: poppler-utils but 0.8.2-2 is to be installed.
> >     poppler-utils: Conflicts: xpdf-utils but 3.02-1.3 is installed.
>
> [snip]
>
>   I ran into this on my own computer recently.  Unfortunately, it's not
> trivial to solve.  The problem came up because of an interaction between
> the code to remove unused packages and the code to resolve dependencies:
> if a package is installed that requires something being removed because
> it's unused, the unused package will be put back on the system.  That's
> fine, but the resolver doesn't know that, and so it produces a solution
> that breaks dependencies after it's applied.

Ah, I see now. Just for fun, I ran "aptitude unmarkauto xpdf-utils" to
keep it from getting removed, then "aptitude safe-upgrade", and indeed
it was happy.

(As an aside, I think it's wonderful that you're willing to take time
out to answer questions on this list. Thanks yet again.)

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           :        "Poor soul, very sad; her late husband,
ahall@vitaphone.net  :         you know, a very sad death -- eaten by