xpdf-utils vs. poppler-utils conflict prevents aptitude safe-upgrade

My sid box has cupsys and xpdf-utils installed (among a bunch of other
things). When I run "aptitude safe-upgrade", aptitude runs through its
normal prep, followed by many lines of "Resolving dependencies...",
followed by:

    xpdf-utils: Conflicts: poppler-utils but 0.8.2-2 is to be installed.
    poppler-utils: Conflicts: xpdf-utils but 3.02-1.3 is installed.

Then it exits. I can tell xpdf-utils and poppler-utils conflict; fine.
But xpdf-utils is already installed, poppler-utils is not. I thought
aptitude would normally let the already-installed xpdf-utils fulfill the
dependency and ignore poppler-utils. But it's not. So I thought that
something else might be trying to pull poppler-utils in, but:

  frenesi: ~ % aptitude why poppler-utils
  i   cupsys Depends poppler-utils | xpdf-utils
  frenesi: ~ % aptitude why xpdf-utils
  i   cupsys Depends poppler-utils | xpdf-utils

Further, "aptitude full-upgrade" doesn't seem to want to upgrade
xpdf-utils *or* install poppler-utils. "apt-cache policy xpdf-utils"
tells me I'm have the current xpdf-utils 3.02-1.3. So why is "aptitude
safe-upgrade" complaining and exiting?

I'm inclined to just run "full-upgrade" and be done with it. (I normally
run "safe-upgrade" first, then "full-upgrade", which is why I ran into
this. Is that superstitious?)

That said, I think I misunderstand something here, but I'm not sure
what. Not a killer problem, but I'd appreciate the enlightenment. :)

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           :        "We have to protect our children from
ahall@vitaphone.net  :         district attorneys."