Re: Fw: Re: wine problems?

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:31:06 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Frustrated by lack of functionality of installed package wine since I
> upgraded to i386 lenny, I purged removed all specific packages of wine
> and reinstalled, also my database application. Still hanging while
> commanding 'search'. Then I planned a more drastink purging.
> I first commanded
> apt-get --purge remove wine
>
> Then I explored what will happen from command
>
> apt-get --purge remove wine*
>
> The output screen from this command is shown below. Clearly I did not
> continue as it will remove gnome parts, in particular gnome-session,
> which is what I use after startx. Any suggestion?
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> Note, selecting libwine-capi for regex 'wine*'
> Note, selecting libchewing-data for regex 'wine*'
> Note, selecting libchewing3-data instead of libchewing-data
> Note, selecting libswing-layout-java for regex 'wine*'

[...]

For apt-get the regular expression 'wine*' will match any package whose
name contains the string "win". You are mixing up shell globbing
patterns and regular expressions; see "man 7 regex" for the correct
regex syntax. (Moreover, things can get really messy if you have any
files in the current directory whose names start with "wine"; see the
section "Pathname Expansion" in the manpage of bash.)

Try

apt-get -s --purge remove 'wine.*'

and if this shows the right output then you can run the same command
without the "-s" to actually remove and purge these packages.

(Note: I have no idea if puring and reinstalling all those wine packages
 will solve your original problem.)

          Florian   |