Re: ath5k anyone?

Jaime Tarrant wrote:
> * Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com) wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Has anyone had any luck with the ath5k driver? I've installed
>> linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. My /etc/network/interfaces file says:
>>
> [snip]
>> When I say "ifup ath0", iwconfig reveals that ath0 is associated to my
>> AP, ifconfig looks right (as it should with a static config). dmesg
>> looks great too:
>>
> [snip]
>> However, I can't ping my access point.
>>
>> Do I need some extra magic in /etc/network/interfaces?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
>>

> I had a hard time getting wireless working properly with atheros chipsets and
> then found the following site, which has a link to a script that has worked
> well for me on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian laptops.

> I have not looked into what this script did differenly to what I was doing,
> however it certainly worked well for me.
>
> Only thing to consider is that you will probably have to re-run it each time
> you do a kernel upgrade, as the script automates building the drivers from
> the madwifi subversion repository against your running kernel.
>
> HTH - Jaime
> --
>  Jaime Tarrant
>  http://www.tarsysco.com    jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com

I guess that will work as works module-assistant. In my college I setted
up hundreds of this cards with module-assistant and madwifi-source, just:

# apt-get install madwifi-source module-assistant
# m-a prepare
# m-a update
# m-a a-i madwifi

Then I just made # iwconfig ath0 essid ESSID; dhclient ath0 and it was
done, I was surfing with wireless.

Regards.
- --
Jose Luis Rivas. San Cristóbal, Venezuela. PGP: 0xCACAB118
http://ghostbar.ath.cx/{about,acerca} - http://debian.org.ve
`ghostbar' @ irc.debian.org/#debian-ve,#debian-devel-es