SOLVED Re: Gnome URL icon associations

Marty wrote:
In my debian Etch system, the default browser is iceape, the link /etc/x-www-browser points to /usr/bin/iceape, and mozilla is the selected default browser using the gnome Desktop->Preferences->Preferred Applications applet. I am not familiar with gconf configuration.

Regardless of the default browser settings, desktop icon URLs opened my mouse click on the desltop, or opened within nautilus appear in konqueror. When konqueror is uninstalled, the desktop URL icons are opened by gedit instead. Default browser selection works normally, however, for URL icons placed in a panel.

In addition to finding a fix, I am curious about why the system defaults to either konqueror or gedit, and the relevant configuration files and settings. Thanks for any help.

I fixed the problem by adding the following lines to ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list:

application/xhtml+xml=iceape.desktop
text/html=iceape.desktop
text/xml=iceape.desktop

This was needed is because the default browser is epiphany in the gconf global defaults.listfile. A more permanent solution may be changing the global defaults, applying them to new users as well, but still I don't know how to safely do that.

Since the last posting, in addition to the previous failed attempts, I also tried changing the default gnome browser and URL handlers settings using gconf-editor, which failed, and forcing the KDE MIME setting in kcontrol, which worked around the problem but disabled normal MIME handling. I don't know why it should matter at all in Gnome, but at least in explains why Konqueror was starting.

In seeking the fix I found at least four separate and differently working mechanisms related to MIME or file association in debian, not including their local and global versions. Although I have a fix for the immediate problem, I still don't know why there are so many ways in Debian to perform a similar function, how they overlap and differ, where they are all documented, or even which package(s) on which to file a bug or wishlist report.