Re: RAID for large disks

With the RAID array I am planning to use RAID 5 so my data is still protected. My confusion is going with RAID striping (picking the right size). Also, Does the filesystem layout need to be specific when I do striping? If I am using 128k stripes, should I start my filesystem on 129k and end with max-(128+1k)?

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 11:15 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 06/07/08 07:27, Mag Gam wrote:
> >
> > I have a RAID controller with 256MB of on board cache and its connected
> > to 12 500GB SATA disks. I am planning to create 2 RAID groups (6 disks
> > each), but I don't know what is the optimal stripe size should be.
>
> That's very controler-specific.  Read the manual.
>
> > Also, once I stripe on the RAID controller I am planning to use LVM. Is
> > striping a good idea? What should I consider for the filesystem?
>
> Striping is a GREAT idea IFF you want serious speed, but don't care
> about your data.  If one of the disks goes flaky, *all* the data on
> the stripeset goes poof.
>
> So, *never* use striping on a production server!!  Unless you hate
> the company, are vindictive, and are about to leave.
>
> Otherwise, use RAID 0, 10, 0+1 or 5.
>
> If you make huge RAID sets, I don't see the purpose of LVM.  OTOH,

for one, if you make a bad partition choice.  With LVM, you can shrink
one and grow the other as needed.

> if you make 6 mirror sets, use LVM to make a 6 "device" unit.
>
> Also, Damon is correct about booting.  In fact, I'd have a separate
> boot device.
>
> Lastly, to what media are you going to back all this data up?  How
> frequently?
>
> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA