Re: RAID for large disks

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 11:32 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Damon,
>
> I haven't even approached the file system level yet. The application
> is a basic fileserver which will host our professor's mechanical
> engineering images. These images can be anywhere from 20MB to 300MB so
> I would consider them "normal files".
>
> I am hoping some hardware people can chime in about the RAID
> configuration first. I have plenty of RAM on the server (12GB), and a
> fast RAID controller so I would like to get this going first then I
> will worry about the file system. Unless, people feel this is a
> holistic approach.
>
> Any thoughts?

 Yes, two.
1.  If this is just a file server, then take the hardware defaults, they
will serve you well (I am a hardware person).  All my experience has
been on Dell and that is the "official" Dell line unless your app says
otherwise.

2.  If you top post on this list, people will respond (in a frenzy)
about that.  On this list, the accepted is to:  a. bottom post, or, b.
post in line (as I did to your OP)

I don't care how you reply, however it is easier to read the flow with
bottom posting or in-line posted as I can see what came before and the
response.  Other wise I have to read what you posted, then scroll down
to find what you are responding to.  Again, I don't care, but some here
do and you will alienate them by top posting.

Concerning the stripe in LVM, I don't know and I am waiting on someone
who does know so that I can learn with you :)

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com