Re: firefox 3 in etch?

Mumia W.. wrote:
On 06/05/2008 01:09 PM, Bogdan Marian wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to run Firefox 3 in Debian Etch? I'm on KDE. It complains about the GTK version. I have the 2.8 installed and it wants 2.10 or higher.

Thx,

Yes, that's possible. I'm running FX3.0rc2 right now.

As Mess-mate said, you need to compile gtk2.10 yourself. When you compile gtk2.10, don't let it install itself to the default locations in /usr/local, because that might mess things up for other programs. Putting gtk2.10 in /opt is good, or you can put it in an exotic place under /usr/local (etc. /usr/local/exotic).

If gtk2.10 is allowed to install its libraries in the default location of /usr/local/lib, it might confuse some programs looking for gtk2.8.

After you've gotten gtk2.10 installed, you might need to give FX a little hint on where it can find the latest gtk2 libraries on your system. Create a wrapper script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that Firefox can find the correct version of gtk, e.g.

#!/bin/sh
# My wrapper script
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/exotic/lib
~/path/to/my/firefox/installation/firefox/firefox

Hello guys,

I'm not very lucky yet. I followed your links but:

this is what i get when runnin "./configure --prefix=/opt/gtk210"

checking for XRRUpdateConfiguration in -lXrandr... no
checking Pango flags... configure: error:
*** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required
*** to build GTK+. See http://www.pango.org for Pango information.

but i installed pango:

#dpkg -l | grep pango

ii libpango1.0-0 1.14.8-5 Layout and rendering of internationalized te ii libpango1.0-common 1.14.8-5 Modules and configuration files for the Pang

Any clues? I'm searching through pango's config.log now.

Thx,

--
Bogdan MARIAN
Java Software Developer