Re: The 'Good old days (WAS:Re: Aptitude Version: 0.4.11.2-1 eat my memory after update...)

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:56:07PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 06:03:17PM +0200, Jean-Louis Crouzet
> ><jeanlouis.crouzet@free.fr> was heard to say:
> >
> >>Thanks for your answer. I was you know hunting for free memory since my
> >>system is only having 128MB which tend to be not enough those days (even
> >>with Linux).
> >>

> >  Yes, that's sadly not much RAM nowadays.
> >
> It almost makes me yearn for the days of my first computer... a TRS-80
> Model III that came with 16KB RAM and 16KB ROM which I upgraded to the
> max of 48KB RAM and 16KB ROM.  Then I remember that that machine, at
> twice the price of todays low end systems, had no hard drive, no floppy
> drive and I saved my programs and data on a cassette tape.  Can we say
> slow and unreliable?  When I upgraded the memory, I also put in two
> floppy drives (160K 5-1/4") at a cost of $800.  That was the third party
> price - Radio Shack wanted that much for just a single floppy drive.
>
> Maybe the 'Good old days' weren't so good, after all.

Yea but if you have an old box that runs very reliably, its a shame not
to be able to use it.  For my old boxes where the ram or disk-space is
too tight for Debian, I run OpenBSD which runs like a charm on my old
486 with 32 MB ram on a 512 MB drive.

Doug.