The 'Good old days (WAS:Re: Aptitude Version: 0.4.11.2-1 eat my memory after update...)

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 06:03:17PM +0200, Jean-Louis Crouzet <jeanlouis.crouzet@free.fr> was heard to say:
Thanks for your answer. I was you know hunting for free memory since my system is only having 128MB which tend to be not enough those days (even with Linux).

  Yes, that's sadly not much RAM nowadays.
It almost makes me yearn for the days of my first computer... a TRS-80 Model III that came with 16KB RAM and 16KB ROM which I upgraded to the max of 48KB RAM and 16KB ROM. Then I remember that that machine, at twice the price of todays low end systems, had no hard drive, no floppy drive and I saved my programs and data on a cassette tape. Can we say slow and unreliable? When I upgraded the memory, I also put in two floppy drives (160K 5-1/4") at a cost of $800. That was the third party price - Radio Shack wanted that much for just a single floppy drive.

Maybe the 'Good old days' weren't so good, after all.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com