Re: Running testing? -- read this.

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 17:21 +0100, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> > Testing is the right choice for me, and if it no longer is I would move
> > to another distro immediately. Etch doesn't even install on many recent
> > machines.
>
> I too am just a regular user. I have been using sidux and found it to be
> sound os and have just put Debian testing on my laptop a few days
> ago. The stable version wouldn't install on my Dell xps at all  but the
> testing release has installed perfectly.

As well unstable and most likely Ubuntu 8.04.  Newer kernel equals newer
hardware detection.  The Debian off spring make their mark by taking
snapshots of Sid and adding the "fixes" they think makes sense and
package it all together.  Some of them (most/all?) are quite good.
Elive comes to mind (but requires a "donation" to download or at least a
bit torrent client) as does knoppix, ubuntu, and mepis.  These are all
"good" distros.

If you have a box that came out in the last 6 months, you most likely
need a newer kernel then Stable provides.  This is mostly not the case
in ServerLand (for which Stable is designed for) where changes come
slowly and are very conservative so as to widen the commercial appeal of
the hardware.  Most OEMS will even provide drivers for the hardware for
many popular mainstream Linux distros (read SLES, RHEL, Debian and
sometimes Solaris).
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com