Re: strange gs problem: unicode encoding problem with pdf (?)

Am Montag, 2. Juni 2008 schrieb Florian Kulzer:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:33:53 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> [...]
>
> > > The error messages in one of your earlier mails show that you are using
> > > the Lenny/Sid version of ghostscript (8.62), but your PPD file seems to
> > > be outdated (it is from HPLIP 2.7.10; the current version of hpijs-ppds
> > > is 2.8.4 in Lenny and 2.8.5 in Sid). Maybe upgrading and/or updating to
> > > the newest PPD in the CUPS setup will fix the problem. (Sometimes it
> > > can necessary to remove the printer and add it again with the newest
> > > driver.)
> >
> > Thanks for spotting this. This improved the situation but did not fix it
> > yet.
> >
> > A cupsys upgrade apparently does not replace the ppds for installed
> > printers.
>
> The relevant PPD file is copied to /etc/cups/ppd (and renamed according
> to the CUPS designation for this printer) whenever a printer is
> installed. This copy is not changed when the original PPD file is
> subsequently updated during a package upgrade.

Surprises me that CUPS is not using symbolic links.

> > I "changed" the printer using the localhost:631 web interface and tried
> > two options (I also added a new test printer, but same result):
> >
> > *NickName: "HP LaserJet 6P Foomatic/hpijs, hpijs 2.8.4.2 - HPLIP 2.8.4"
> > *NickName: "HP LaserJet 6P/6MP - PostScript Postscript (recommended)"
> >

> > And this brought a nice improvement:
> >
> > foomatic-rip -v --ppd /etc/cups/ppd/hplj6p.ppd ~/tmp.nobackup/KKA-DKB.pdf
> > >log 2>err
> >
> > generates now a ps or pcl file (depending on the selected driver) in the
> > "log" file.
> >
> > But still it does not print and there are a lot of indications to these
> > 106 pages!
> >
> > The pcl version goes into error the ps version prints the ps source code.
> >
> > Inspecting the err file, I still see the 106 pages and enscript as file
> > converter:
> >
> > file converter command: enscript -G -M A4 -b "Page $%|
> > rd@blackbox" --margins=36:36:36:36 --mark-wrapped-lines=arrow --word-wrap
> > -p- --> This document is DSC-conforming!
>
> I still don't like this invocation of enscript. I now ran enscript on a
> 1-page PDF and it tried to send 99 pages of garbage to my printer.
> AFAIK, enscript is meant for plain text input only. So there is either a
> problem with the filtering setup of CUPS (maybe caused by the PPD) or a
> quirk in the PDF itself.

I found out that the postscript backend sends always garbage (=ps source code)
to my printer. The pcl backend works for other pdf files though, altough it
contains the same enscript command

file converter command: enscript -G -M A4 -b "Page $%|
rd@blackbox" --margins=36:36:36:36 --mark-wrapped-lines=arrow --word-wrap -p-
--> This document is DSC-conforming!

Full output is at

http://alzental-castle.de/~rd/err.working

> > And for the postscript version this is in agreement with the "log" file
> >
> > rd@blackbox:~$ tail log
> > (32934) s
> > 5 94 M
> > (%%EOF) s
> > _R
> > %%Trailer
> > %%Pages: 106
> > %%DocumentNeededResources: font Times-Roman Courier-Bold Courier
> > %%+ font Times-Bold
> > %%EOF
> >
> > The complete outputs (STDERR) of foomatic-rip are here
> >
> > http://alzental-castle.de/~rd/err.pclbackend
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://alzental-castle.de/~rd/err.psbackend
> >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I would rather not receive any sensitive information. Can you generate
> > > a new file from the same form with bogus data filled in?
> >
> > My bank is generating these PDFs for me. I cannot generate them with
> > bogus data. Not sure if there would be a save way to edit a pdf file to
> > remove my credit card data.
>
> You can try to uncompress it with pdftk:
>
> pdftk KKA-DKB.pdf output uncompressed.pdf uncompress

Thanks, that worked.

> It should be possible to edit uncompressed.pdf with any text editor and
> remove all sensitive information (unless your bank uses an unusual
> encoding or protected the content in some other way).

I uploaded the pdf with all sensitive data changed to bogus data to

http://alzental-castle.de/~rd/uncompressed.pdf

I verified that it still does not print...and I am curious if you can
reproduce the problem (I managed it on two lenny systems now, both using a
HPLJ 6p printer).

Many thanks,
Rainer

--