Re: X affecting console text color??

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:

>> > Anyone else having this?
>> > How could X affect the default console text color?
>>
>> Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode switching.
>> Which xorg video driver are you using?
>
> The R300 driver, videocard is ATI Radeon 9500.
> But now we're moving towards the limits of my knowledge. How do I find
> out if this driver is still used, after the xorg upgrade 2 weeks ago?

You are almost certainly still using the same driver.
You can check in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

>> You could try to downgrade to the previous version or test if the
>> vesa driver leads to the same problem.
>
> Among many others, these drivers are installed:
>
>    xserver-xorg-video-ati
>    xserver-xorg-video-vesa
>
> How to switch to the vesa driver?

Put Driver  "vesa" in the Device section of xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 NE [Radeon 9500 Pro]"
	Driver		"vesa"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Note that vesa cannot do much more than 1024x768

> Anyway, judging from Kelly Clowers' reply, I might wait a few months and
> revert to this if this phenomenon has not ceased to exist by then.

I am using the same driver and a Radeon 9250, BTW

On this page we can see when different version of the driver enter Debian

http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver-xorg-video-ati.html

The very latest entry is what fixed my issue. I guess the 2008-05-05
migration to testing is what broke your setup. The 2008-02-19 migration
to Unstable looks like the right time for it to have broken my setup.

I looked at the Debian bug reports for ATI, and I didn't see anything
similar. A bug report ought to be filed so they know this is happening
in some cases.

I am in the process of looking at the x.org bugzilla.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers