Re: X affecting console text color??

Op Sat, May 31, 2008 at 16:39:03 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 14:10:47 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> > My console text has the default light gray color - until X is
> > started.
> >
> > When going from X to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console
> > foreground color has turned to dark gray, hardly readable on the
> > black background.
> > Even after logging out of X, back into the console, the console text
> > remains dark gray.
> > Only after restarting the computer, the default light gray text
> > color has returned.
> >
> > This phenomenon started 1 or 2 weeks ago, during a lenny upgrade
> > involving a large number of files that had 'xorg' in their names.
> >
> > Anyone else having this?
> > How could X affect the default console text color?
>
> Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode switching.
> Which xorg video driver are you using?

The R300 driver, videocard is ATI Radeon 9500.
But now we're moving towards the limits of my knowledge. How do I find
out if this driver is still used, after the xorg upgrade 2 weeks ago?

> You could try to downgrade to the previous version or test if the
> vesa driver leads to the same problem.

Among many others, these drivers are installed:

    xserver-xorg-video-ati
    xserver-xorg-video-vesa

How to switch to the vesa driver?
Anyway, judging from Kelly Clowers' reply, I might wait a few months and
revert to this if this phenomenon has not ceased to exist by then.

Yet, it's interesting to see that in the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf most
hardware information has gone; everything is 'generic', 'default' or
'configured'.
If it's of any interest, here it is:
http://home.kpnplanet.nl/~shiems@kpnplanet.nl/xorg.conf.txt

And this is the previous one, having more hardware specifications:
http://home.kpnplanet.nl/~shiems@kpnplanet.nl/xorg.conf.20080517230418.txt

Replacing the new xorg.conf with the previous one does not make any
difference though.

> > Where is the default console foreground color determined anyway, and
> > could I at least correct it manually?
>
> setterm -foreground black|blue|green|cyan|red|magenta|yellow|white|
> default
>
> You can also try the -default, -reset and -initialize options.

E.g. 'setterm -foreground green' gives a very faint green text color,
hardly readable, and only from a certain viewing angle on the tft
screen.  Same with the other colors.
Commands like 'setterm -default' or 'setterm -reset' do not make any
difference.
Apparently, these settings have nothing to do with it.