Re: problems with tar for backup (maximum tar file size?)

Jimmy Wu wrote:
I haven't been backing up any of my stuff, and yesterday I decided to
start doing that
I want to use tar with bz2, and I wrote this little script to
hopefully automate this process (attached)
The script works, but tar doesn't.  The logs show no errors until
somewhere near the end, when it says
but no other errors.

I've been searching online, and the only thing I can think of that's
wrong is the directory is too big.  From what I read, the way tar
works, the tar archive can't be bigger than 8GB.  My home directory is
about that much, maybe a little more.  The largest file I have is a 2+
GB dvd iso.

So I was wondering: (1) Is it true that tar files can't be bigger than
8GB, and (2) If so, what should I use to backup directories bigger
than 8GB?  I wanted to stick with tar because I can open those on
other platforms.  If directory size isn't the problem, then what could
be going on?

Thanks!

--
Jimmy Wu
Registered Linux User #454138

I use backup2l and it makes backups using tar and bz2. My initial backup is about 16G.

#ll /mnt/backup/backup/backup.1.tar.bz2
#-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17991855331 2008-05-05 15:22 /mnt/backup/backup/backup.1.tar.bz2

Maybe a filesystem restriction in the same way vfat is restricted to 4G?

HTH

Wackojacko