Re: How to go to standby after period of no use

Sidarth Dasari wrote:

> Hi,
> I run a headless debian home server for personal use. For the past year
> ive been letting it run 24/7.
> I was wondering if there was a way to make debian go into standby mode
> or something similar after a period of unuse. I would also need it to
> recover with the use of a magic packet or something along the lines of
> that.
> Is there a way to do this?

I use kcontrol for doing this. I think the underlying machinery belongs to
acpi. kcontrol is just a front-end to do a bunch of system administration
things in KDE (which is bloated but very good BTW). Since front ends or
Desktop Environments are usually not installed on headless Debian servers,
your best bet is to look in the documentation of acpi (or other related
packages) to how to achieve this.

hth
raju
--