Re: Fetchmail

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:59:55PM +0300, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> So if I put "SET_DAEMON=yes" to /etc/default/fetchmail and other needed
> parameters to .fetchmailrc then daemon should start for every user that
> has .fetchmailrc file?
>

> Tero Mäntyvaara
>
> Jamie Griffin wrote:
>> In my /etc/default/fetchmail file i have simply changed the variable
>> to "SET_DAEMON=yes"
>>
>> This gives a default value of 600 seconds i believe. Should you be happy
>> with this you would not not need to set a daemon value.
>>
>> However, if you wish to set daemon to a different value, in the
>> /etc/fetchmailr you can add 'set daemon 300' or to however frequently
>> you need it to poll the server.
>>
>> I use exactly this method and it works perfectly.
>>
>> HTH, jamie
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 01:42:45PM +0300, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have modified also the files /etc/default/fetchmail and
>>> /etc/fetchmailrc but I don't know which parameter affects to which
>>> function. Anyway the file .fetchmailrc and user daemon are the
>>> solutions   that I was looking for. I had put that "set daemon nnn"
>>> in  .fetchmailrc, but it didn't work. :-(
>>>
>>> What should I put in files /etc/default/fetchmail and /etc/fetchmailrc then?
>>>

>>> Tero Mäntyvaara

As this program is running as root and the configuration file is
system-wide the daemon will run at the specified number of seconds for all
users/accounts written within /etc/fetchmailrc.

If you're not using an LDA, such as procmail, your MTA should then
handle delivery to /var/spool/mail/$USER.

I currently only use this set up for myself as the single user on my
machine.

As Chris suggested, run /etc/init.d/fetchmail start to initiate the
daemon. It will then stop and start automatically on shutdown/boot
respectively. Check the maillogs to troubleshoot; they will confirm
what's happening.

Jamie

--
     Jamie.