Re: screen resolution question

Glenn Becker wrote:

I stupidly deleted a response to my question regarding my "skeletal" xorg.conf file. IIRC, the question was whether my file did not in fact have a "Screen" section. It does, but it is as empty as the other sections.

Since it doesn't amount to much, the whole thing follows.

snip

Not much is needed now days.

This is from the post that Mirko Parthey posted: http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12 a good read.

you can add an "Option" along these lines under Monitor:

Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768_60.00" (assuming 60hz refresh rate, if it is something else, change _60.00 to something else)

Old way:  Under Screen

Option SubSection "Display"
           Depth  24
Modes "1024x768" "somexother" "somexother" (note: the first one would be the preferred resolution, the 2nd and following could actually be higher if you wanted it)

I still use the old method: I use nvidia and twinview and I don't know any other way to get 2880x900 out of two monitors that run 1440x900.

take the time to read that page, it should clear up the issue for you.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com