Re: Cloning hda to new internal disk (was Re: [debian-user] How to copy a laptop HD?)

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 07:20:17 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
> In a similar vein to OP's question, I am going to buy a new boot
> disk, because my hda is old enough -- and drives are cheap enough --
> that I'd rather replace it before it fails.
>
> So I checked out CloneZilla, but it seems to be aimed at
> institutional use.  Even partimage seems to need an intermediary step.
>
> Is there any way to directly clone /dev/hda to /dev/sdX, so that I
> can then boot off of /dev/sdX?

Yes, CloneZilla is capable of doing that. The default behavior is to create a
full disk image, including the MBR and partition table, so if you use
the "disk-to-disk" option you'll end with a ready-to-use, bootable hard disk.

By "intermediary step" I'm guessing that you meant the compressed (gzip) disk
image partimage can create -- but that's optional. There is the option to
simply clone one disk onto another.

Lee