Re: freezes in 2.6.25

Hugo Vanwoerkom a écrit :
thveillon.debian wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom a écrit :
thveillon.debian wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom a écrit :
Hi,

Just FYI, I went back to 2.6.24-1-686.
I had 2.6.25-1-686 + 2.6.25-2-686 running for 9 days and had 3 hard freezes: nothing moved, no kbd, no mouse.
The logs showed nothing up to the moment.
That hasn't happened since I bought this mobo 3 years ago.

It could be my hardware setup:
2 ATA disks, 2 USB external drives, one ATA, one SATA.

Hugo

I had the same problem using "bigmem" on an Asus P5K-E mobo, c2duo and 4gb ram. On the same box the -amd64 is running fine. I tried many compilation options, and I even got the freezes with a vanilla kernel. It's still the same for 2.6.25-3. I filled a bug report but it didn't catch a lot of interest so far... I thought I was the only one to get that.

The only output I got was :

<snip>

It's happening even with no xserver started on non tainted kernel.

What's your hardware precisely ?

I have an EP-8VTAI mobo with an Athlon XP +2700 at 2GHz and 1GB of memory.

What is the number of the bug?

At least you got output, I got nothing.

Hugo

I have filled a new one for the latest 2.6.25-3, bug number *482100*. Since I had problem with the vanilla kernel (did you try compiling from vanilla kernel.org sources ?) I'm thinking of filling a bug there. I'll wait for some Debian feedback first, maybe it's just a problem with a specific system setting.

I did compile from 2.6.25.3 - I see that the current stable is 2.6.25.4 - and I ran that for two days but never got a freeze. I changed my strategy slightly: I was going to go back to that version after the 3 freezes in the Debian kernel, but instead I went back to 2.6.24-1-686. Got scared I guess... :-) I submitted *482074* describing the freeze, but other than looking for other people who report a freeze I don't hold out much hope.
Hugo

I didn't try the .4 since the good point about this problem is I switched my system to x86-64. I'm going to try it out of curiosity.

Regarding the when the "bug" (or not) happens, it's usually soon after boot time on my system, which is usually heavily loaded (with .1 I could hardly reach the login screen). The longer I got was with the vanilla build, about half an hour, for the debian builds it was always less than that.

Tom