Re: Default X resolution

Alan Ianson wrote:
Is it possible to get x to use 1024x768 by default that way xfree86 used to do? I would still like other resolutions available so I can use them when I need them but most of the time 1024x768 does what I want.

Alan,

Yes.

man xorg.conf.

Modes "mode-name" ...
This optional entry specifies the list of video modes to use. Each mode-name specified must be in double quotes. They must corre‐ spond to those specified or referenced in the appropriate Monitor section (including implicitly referenced built-in VESA standard modes). The server will delete modes from this list which don’t satisfy various requirements. The first valid mode in this list will be the default display mode for startup. The list of valid modes is converted internally into a circular list. It is possi‐ ble to switch to the next mode with Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus and to the previous mode with Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus. When this entry is omitted, the valid modes referenced by the appropriate Monitor section will be used. If the Monitor section contains no modes,
then the selection will be taken from the built-in VESA standard modes.

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "some other value here" "a nother value here"
EndSubSection

Looks like an Xorg kinda of a day!

HTH

--