Re: Default X resolution

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:58:24AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> >Is it possible to get x to use 1024x768 by default that way xfree86 used
> >to do? I would still like other resolutions available so I can use them
> >when I need them but most of the time 1024x768 does what I want.
>
> Yes.
>
> man xorg.conf.
>
> Subsection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1024x768" "some other value here" "a nother value here"
> EndSubSection

Your solution applies to Debian Etch, but it didn't work for me
in testing/unstable anymore.

This page gives more details about modern X configuration:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

I added this line to the "Monitor" Section:
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x960"
It even worked without a modeline - X already came with a suitable mode.

Regards,
Mirko