Re: Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

On Mon May 19 2008 07:58:01 am Preston Boyington wrote:
> Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted to
> > adjust a workstation to another monitor.
> >
> > Traditionallly that works by the following command:
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
> >
> > If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to
> > emulate a 3-button mouse or not.
> >
> > Can someone reading this reproduce this bug?
> > Can you please fix it?
>
> I can verify the same.  after running 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' we
> could reconfigure keyboard and mouse but nothing else.  the xorg.conf
> file says something like "pre-configured device" (not at machine
> currently) for monitor and video card.
>
> my question is where are the actual configuration settings located if
> they are no longer in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?  i want to help set up a
> friends ATI video card and i normally edit the xorg.conf file to load
> the modules for 3D output.

From what I gather (from reading this thread mostly), you don't need an
xorg.conf anymore although you can still use one if need be.

The idea is that xorg probs your hardware and away it goes without the need
for any config. I good idea I think although we are in the early stages and
it may need more work.

> i thought my friend was crazy last night when i was trying to help him
> over the phone and he couldn't find the xorg.config section i was
> telling him to go to.  now i will have to buy him a beer or something...
> :-/

Your friend may need a simple xorg.conf to load the ati module (it may not be
needed either, need to try it out and see) but I would say he owes you a beer
for helping him with this stuff.. :)