Re: apt/dselect anomaly

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 08:33:35PM -0400, Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com> was heard to say:
> I usually keep current with the Debian archive using apt-get.  Sometimes,
> however, I install programs using dselect.
>
> After upgrading to the latest Debian archive using apt-get update/upgrade,
> I got the following message while running dselect:

>   openssh-client openssh-server
>
> It happened on two different similarly configured machines.
>
> I'm pretty sure this has never happened to me before.  I have always
> thought that upgrading using either apt-get or dselect (using the apt
> method) were equivalent, at least with respect to staying current with
> the archive.
>
> Am I missing something major?  Thanks for any illumination.

  The latest version of openssh-server depends on openssh-blacklist due
to the security problems with openssl that came up recently.  If you
only use "apt-get upgrade", openssh-server won't get upgraded because
"upgrade" refuses to install new packages.  Did openssh-blacklist get
installed too when you used dselect?

  Daniel