Re: problem occurs after upgrading to lenny

[ Please stop top posting. Keep in mind that all list messages should be
  easily understandable by every subscriber. Most people will not
  remember our previous mails, and they should not have to scroll up and
  down like crazy just to piece together the context of your latest
  message. Please quote in normal conversation style, i.e. put your
  answers below the questions. ]

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 01:20:19 +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problem apt-get install even after attempting to install
> exim4-base.
> Here is the error:
>
> ser:/home/anne# apt-get install exim4-base

[...]

> Setting up exim4-daemon-light (4.69-2+b1) ...
> Starting MTA:exim: incompatible command-line options or arguments
> invoke-rc.d: initscript exim4, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing exim4-daemon-light (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

[...]

> Is the new Lenny ready?  If so, how do I update my os?

The fixed version of exim4-base is currently prevented from entering
Lenny due to its dependency on perl. This issue might still take a bit
to be sorted out.

If you want to install the fixed version from Sid then you need to do
the following:

1) Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list. Find the line(s) that relate to
   "lenny" (or "testing", whichever you have used) and duplicate
   it/them. Then change "lenny" (or "testing") to "unstable" in the new
   line(s). Keep the original lenny/testing lines unchanged.

2) Run this command as root:

   echo 'APT::Default-Release "testing";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default-release

   This should make sure that apt will not install packages from Sid
   unless you explicitly tell it to. This means that you can upgrade
   your Lenny system normally, once the exim4 problem is fixed.

3) Run "apt-get update". Then check with "apt-cache policy exim4-base"
   that apt now knows about version 4.69-5+b1, but that it does not list
   it as an installation candidate.

4) Run "apt-get install -t unstable exim4-base" and you should get the
   fixed package(s). The "-t unstable" option tells apt that now, as an
   exception, you want to install the unstable version if it is newer
   than the currently installed one from Lenny.

          Florian   |