Re: Firefox irresponsible

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:57:43PM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:
Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes irresponsible during
three or four seconds.

I think you mean nonresponsive, but I love the comment that
firefox/iceweasel is irresponsible.  Perhaps its web designers who are
irresponsible.

LOL :)

First I experiment it with swiftfox, then I used Firefox (iceweasel) 2 and
the problem didn't go out. Then I switch to iceweasel 3 from experimental,
and I see this again.

I don't know how can I debug this problem. iceweasel take high % cpu during
the time it is irresponsible.

Run top in an xterm/rxvt/whatever with a 0.25 second delay.  You could
even run it in batch mode for 100 repititions and tee it to a file for
checking after the 4-second event.  Look for not just the CPU load for
that process, but CPU and IO load globally.

[snip strace]
But I think this strace doesn't give any clue.
I've never needed to learn how to read strace output.

Somebody with the same problem ? Any workarround ?
I'm on dialup.  Its normal for me to wait for iceweasel to grab a page
and display it.  Sure it runs the CPU to 0% idle at times.  That's the
whole reason I bought by new computer: Athlon64 3800+ with 1 GB ram:
because iceweasel/firefox uses a lot of resources.  Most everything else
in my life can run just fine on my 486 or P-II.

I didn't install any plugin recently (only tamper data and developer
extension installed on my iceweasel)

I don't know what they do.

Good luck.

Doug.

FF is just a memory & cpu hog, I used to have a machine working OK with my own optimized kernel but QT and xfce4 + FF are just eating all and I swap like crazy... The recommendation I collected is just add few more add-on like addblokplus but even then the ultimte recommendation was not going into MySpace (of course...). Well at the end of the day I have kill my process (sorry Iceweasel) tens times and I just get mad of it.
There is absolutely noway for me to invest RAM for Dell Optiplex GX200!
I currently have just 128MB but that has been for a long time enough.

FF, Iceweasel, Konqueror same battle (perhaps slightly better for konqueror but por flash support).

Well I do not want to argue no more, thanks for reading I'm going to surf IE7... just kidding.

Regards,
JL