Re: Firefox irresponsible

joseph lockhart wrote:

"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
On 05/14/2008 08:57 AM, Javier Barroso wrote:
> Hi list,

Hi Javier.

> Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes [unresponsive] during
> three or four seconds.
>
> First I experiment it with swiftfox, then I used Firefox (iceweasel) 2 and
> the problem didn't go out. Then I switch to iceweasel 3 from experimental,
> and I see this again.
>
> I don't know how can I debug this problem. iceweasel take high % cpu during
> the time it is irresponsible.
>
> If I exec strace I get: [...]

Do what I do: disable flash, disable _javascript_, don't visit youtube and
leave FF loaded only so long as you need it.
opera is a good option, personally I use several browsers for different things
    - opera - general browsing
    - konqueror - file management, troubleshooting when using online helps (the built in terminal is quite useful here)
    - firefox - the web apps that I need for work need both java and flash so no option here
    - lynx/elinks - when I am reading documents (who says we need fancy things like pictures)
    - dillo - I keep this around because I am intrested in its development, it seems to have great potential in becoming a top of the line, lightweight browser

jwlockhart

I'd agree with this approach. I have Kazehakase set up with TOR + Privoxy with the same option in Iceweasel when I want it; Opera for Google.com/linux searching and as Icedove default browser, Epiphany and Iceape for general browsing and Konqueror for "fish" connections with my laptop. Oh yes, I also have Dillo for basic no nonsense browsing.

This is probably overload, but the two reasons I keep Iceweasel going is because of its flash compatibility as well as the add-ons/extensions that I like. Too bad Epiphany doesn't come with extensions like the weather or an Athens toolbar, but oh well.