Re: apt pinning confusion

Alex Samad wrote:
On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:08:38AM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
Historically, I've always used APT::Default-Release to keep my system
sane with multiple repositories, but recently reinstalled a system
because it was getting very crufty. I'm trying to prevent a similar
recurrence, so I now have:

    $ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
    APT::Default-Release "testing";
    APT::Cache-Limit "25165824";

    $ cat /etc/apt/preferences
    Package: *
    Pin: release o=Debian, a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 800

    Package: *
    Pin: release o=Debian, a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 700

    Package: *
    Pin: release o=Debian, a=stable
    Pin-Priority: 600

    Package: *
    Pin: release o=Debian, a=experimental
    Pin-Priority: 550

your numbers seem very high my preferences is
package: * pin: release a=unstable Pin-Priority: 100 package: * pin: release a=experimental Pin-Priority: 50

I also have some additional sources (e.g. security.debian.org) which I'm
assuming are handled properly by the apt defaults. My question is, have
I set things up properly to do what I'm expecting?
I'm particularly unclear on whether installing something out of unstable
starts tracking that package out of unstable, or whether it simply adds
the package until an equal or higher version is available in testing.

Lastly, is pinning even really necessary here? How does that help me
over simply setting the default release? In practice, I haven't really
seen a difference yet.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

The number range -1 thru 1000+ is perfectly acceptable. Excerpt from:

# man 5 apt_preferences

P > 1000
causes an instance to be installed even if this constitutes a downgrade of the package

990 < P <=1000
causes an instance to be installed even if it does not come from
the target release, unless the installed instance is more recent

500 < P <=990
causes an instance to be installed unless there is  an  instance
available belonging to the target release or the installed version is more recent

100 < P <=500
causes an instance to be installed unless there is  an  instance
available  belonging to some other distribution or the installed
version is more recent

0 <= P <=100
causes an instance to be installed only if there is no installed
instance of the package

P < 0  prevents the instance from being installed

-

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Jaime