Re: /usr busy after aptitude operations?

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:59:09AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-05-10 09:18 +0200, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
>
> > I know that dpkg takes steps to unlink files without actually deleting
> > them during an upgrade, so your suggestion makes some sense, but I'm not
> > quite sure why the system would need to keep inodes open for writing
> > after that. It still seems somewhat bug-like to me.
>
> The filesystem has to be written to after the inodes are freed, i.e. the
> offending process that kept them open has exited.  You would end up with
> inodes that have a link count of 0, i.e. lost space on the device, if
> the system would not do that.
>
> > Shutting down X, or switching to runlevel 1, really doesn't make the
> > process transparent. I really might as well reboot if that's the case,
> > but that also defeats a great deal of the purpose of being able to
> > upgrade a live system.
>
> True, but I don't have a better suggestion; maybe someone else has.

When you mount the filesystem, are all the standard options active or do
you mount it noatime?  I don't know if it matters.

What happens if you do the remounting pre/post manually instead?
Especially if you do it as part of a shell script:

remount...
aptitude
	(use it interactively)
remout...

If that works, then there's a bug.

I used to have /usr and /boot mounted ro routinely in Sarge with no
problem.

Doug.