Re: /usr busy after aptitude operations?

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:50:53PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

> Probably the problem is that many files which have been upgraded are
> still open (binaries and libraries).  If the system were to remount

I know that dpkg takes steps to unlink files without actually deleting
them during an upgrade, so your suggestion makes some sense, but I'm not
quite sure why the system would need to keep inodes open for writing
after that. It still seems somewhat bug-like to me.

Shutting down X, or switching to runlevel 1, really doesn't make the
process transparent. I really might as well reboot if that's the case,
but that also defeats a great deal of the purpose of being able to
upgrade a live system.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"