Re: Option to call apt install package to local directory

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:27:15 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:00:33PM +1000, hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the command to make "apt-get install package" to install the
> > package to my local directory rather than /usr?
>
> I don't know of any such option for dpkg (which is what apt uses to
> actually install the packages), but maybe you should explain what your
> real goal is. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (see 'man hier') was
> created for a purpose.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

I'm also not aware of such an option. Depending on the package you may be able
to download only using apt-get -d install ... and then open it yourself.

To open the package you have

ar x <package>
and then there should be a file something like data.tar.gz that contains the
actual installation tree