compiz / Nvidia FX 5200 issues

Warning, I am using Shame's repos and just did an aptitude
dist-upgrade in Lenny which brought in compiz updates, so technically
this isn't really debian but figure it's close enough.

I've been able to run compiz in the past but haven't been able lately
to run it. If I start compiz-manager I get a few errors (although
compiz-check tests all come out fine, once I (re)installed
nvidia-setttings), but in the case of running compiz-manager, I get a
few errors on the terminal telling me that it can't load slide files,
and X gets completely stuck, and I've had to completely reboot the
system when this happens.

Running 'compiz --replace --fast-filter' yields:

dfox@m206-157:/usr/share/compiz$ compiz --replace --fast-filter
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide:
/usr/share/compiz/debian-cubecap.png
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cubecaps) - Warn: Failed to load image: fusioncap.png
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cubecaps) - Warn: Failed to load image: compizcap.png

At this point, I have some compiz functionality, but not much. I don't
have any "cube" effect - although the system seems to rotate desktops
when I switch desktops in KDE. I don't have any window decorators and
so can't focus or easily switch between applications, other than by
using the Window list bar on the kde panel.

I don't get much of any other features, and at some poiint - usually
within minutes, X has a tendency to freeze and I can't do any keyboard
input, although I still have mouse cursor which moves. About the only
thing I can do then is to hit the switch - luckily though, I
remembered enough to do alt-Sysreq-e which allowed me to go back to a
login: prompt, and then do startx (which brings up xfce, not KDE, by
default, but that's a different issue.

My video card has 128 meg of RAM. Surely there should be sufficient
graphics memory to load these "slides" -and the files themselves are
readable by the user (mode 664 for files in /usr/share/compiz).